Tuesday, March 15, 2011
DIP - Dual Inline Package
- The old standard for chip design.
- Will always have an even numbers of pins.
- Pin count can be as low as 4 and as high as 68
- In μps, this is used in older 8086, 8088 and 8026 models.
PIN GRID ARRAY
- The rows are changed to an array of pins.
- A square chip with several rows of pins evenly spaced around the perimeter of the chip to form the array.
- Two PGA sockets
a) regular - Chip is inserted the same way as DIP
b) ZIF - Zero Insertion Force, has a lever machanism that will open the socket and allow the chip to be inserted w/ no force.
- In μps, this is used in 80286, 80386, 80486, Pentium, Celeron and most non-Intel processors.
- Different modifications of PGA
º Stagered Pin-Grid Array (SPGA) - Used in Pentium processors, which staggers the arrangement of the pins to allow them to fit closer together.
º The Pentium Pro, because it has seperate chips for theCPU and the Level 2cache, uses a design called the multichip module (MCM). An MCM is a package that contains more than one chip.
º Tape-Carrier Package (TCP) - Which is as thin as phographic film and is soldered to the motherboard.
º Single-Edge Contact (sec) cartridge, used for the Pentium ll. This is actually a PGA package mounted on a small daughtercard tat attaches to the motherboard through a single-edge connector The SEC is a highly appealing in design, because it takes up less space on the motherboard and has better electrical characteristics.
Organic land Grid Array (ool or OLGA).
- The OLGA chips uses a flip chip design, where the processor is attached to the substrate facedown for better signal integrity, more efficient heat removal and lower inductance Used by the Pentium 4 processor, which has 423 pins.
Modems cannot handle the beep on BT's call waiting facility. If you have call waiting on your line you will need to disable it before u...
Motherboard - Is the main printed circuit in electronic device. Northbridge - Is the controller hub, they contro...
This is the standard way if you want to disassemble your Desktop Computer. 1. Remove left cover 2. Remove Power connectors 3. Remo...
Symptom Computer seems to be locked up and not responding. Possible solution Use the Windows Task Manager to close any programs not ...
Issue I have problems in Windows after installing new software. Cause After installing any utility, driver, or other software program...
Ensure that your speakers are not too close to the monitor and that there is no other source of interference, especially from TVs, radios, ...
DIP - Dual Inline Package - The old standard for chip design. - Will always have an even numbers of pins. - Pin count can be as low as...
You have tried to start your computer with a disk in the floppy drive that doesn't contain any operating system files. Solution...
As obvious as this may sound it is probably a cable not attached correctly, or the monitor power button being turned off. Please unplug all...